Sunday, November 16, 2014

Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I'm sorry for my laziness today, no movie.  I do have a nice holiday recipe for Thanksgiving, a nice side to go with the turkey.  Mashed potatoes can be found at most tables on Thanksgiving, and I'm just adding a simple little twist, garlic.  So who can go wrong with that?  I'll go over the way I do this but honestly everyone makes mashed potatoes so if you like your way go right ahead.

What you need:
Potatoes, duh, about 5 large ones
Garlic this will come to personal taste. I LOVE garlic so I'll use about 3/4 a head chopped roughly
Butter 1/2 a stick
Milk 1/2 cup
Buttermilk 1/2 cup
Salt and Pepper
Large pot of boiling water

Before I get into the how to's on this I want to say one thing.  Do what you like.  Like I said EVERYONE has a mashed potatoes recipe.  I like a lot of garlic, I like smooth and creamy potatoes.  If you don't then make em the way ya like em.

The how to's:
Start peeling.  I never said this was easy but this is the only hard part.  Once you have naked potatoes you want to chop them into cubes, about 8 pieces each.  Peal and chop up the garlic.  

Boil the potatoes for about 30 minutes.  While they cook away in a small pot start melting the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted toss in the garlic with a little salt and let that go at low until the potatoes are ready.

When the potatoes are done drain them out and put them back in the pot but off the heat.  Mash.  This again comes to personal taste.  Like it chunky? Don't mash as much. Like it really smooth? Grab the whisk. Pour in the milk and buttermilk.  Keep an eye on this part.  There are a few variables that will determine how much you actually use.  Your own taste as well as humidity (yes humidity) will change the amount of liquid needed.

Finally, stir in the butter with the garlic and salt and pepper to taste.

I hope you enjoy and remember... Eat, drink and watch a ... Well it's Thanksgiving so watch football!!

No comments:

Post a Comment